Sunday, December 14, 2008

A New Phenomenon Among GBN Students


























There was a short period for me in 6th or 7th grade when knitting was all the rage. Kids would be caught in class with their knitting needles out and would be very disappointed and upset they were being forced to put this exciting new art project away. Colorful scarves (that link shows you the knitting pattern too!) were the biggest thing for the kids, and they were all handmade. They didn't keep anyone very warm, since we were young so there were many holes and mistakes in the knitting process. I wasn't very good at knitting then, and I am still a failure at it now!

Apparently this fad is coming back in style! In the past few weeks, I have seen dozens of students being yelled at by teachers for not paying attention to teachers because they are knitting. Beautifully created (and perfect!) scarves are tied around the necks of both genders, and I feel a little out of place. I did some digging in my basement and found some old yarn and knitting needles from my failed attempt in middle school. 

So far, I am not doing very well, but the Internet is a  HUGE help. Check out this video, it's reteaching me how to knit. I can't start anything substantial, but maybe this will help!


1 comment:

Leah Goldgar said...

I completely know what you mean. There was a knitting club at my junior high while I was there and everyone loved it. We did it in homeroom for charities and for eachother. I was one of the people that no matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't do it. However, my sister's friend was at my house last winter break and taught me how to do it. It suddenly became so easy and I was able to finish a whole scarf in only a matte of days. It's a great thing to do when you're just watching tv. I'd be happy to help you learn anytime.