Saturday, January 31, 2009

14 Children: Was it ethical?

















When I wake up in the mornings, the first thing I do is go downstairs to eat breakfast. I sit in front of the TV with the Chicago news station on, but I tend to doze off and not pay attention. However, the other day I was intrigued by a certain news story.

Earlier this week, a woman from Southern California gave birth to octuplets! She had six boys and two girls, and it was only the second time in American history that a woman has and octuplets that have lived more than several hours after birth. Doctors are saying that the babies are in good condition, and they are expected to live although they must stay in the hospital for a few more weeks. 

When I heard about this miraculous happening, I was at first overjoyed thinking that the babies survived! However, new information was disclosed to the media and public recently. In this Yahoo news article, the public found out that the woman already had six kids before her recent births!!! This has spun a media chaos and an immediate medical ethics controversy.

Some doctors say that it is not their role to decide how big one's family should be, while others are completely appalled by the fact that a doctor would administer fertility drugs, and plant multiple embryos (yes it was invetro fertilization) in a woman who already had six kids!

I understand both viewpoints. A doctor cannot refuse a patient if the patient wishes to have more children. However, this woman was almost 100,000 dollars in debt, and I can't imagine that will be helped with her new grand total of children adding up to 14. The father has been identified, but it hasn't been disclosed whether he is present in the lives of the children, since the woman lives at home with her parents in a single-story house.

I just honestly hope this woman will be able to take care of children, and if that is the case, I wish them a healthy lifestyle!

And in this CBS news article, the father of the mom of these children only wanted one more kid! So is this really an ethical controversy and can the other doctors of America do anything about it?


Picture courtesy of http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45415000/jpg/_45415810_006788823-1.jpg

3 comments:

Ho Jin's fireworks said...

I don't think that anyone has the right to interfere with the rights of how many babies to have but I would wish that they would have enough money to support them.

Melissa said...

I love reading and hearing about these stories. Jon and Kate Plus 8 is one of my favorite shows. I thought they had a big family! I don't think that this mom should have 14 children considering she is in debt. I wish her the best of luck, though, and hope the kids live healthy, happy lives.

alex818 said...

After reading your blog, I looked up the backstory on this miraculous event. I turns out that these eight children were born on through an intense breach of the board of health's rules from in-vitro fertilization. It will definitely be interesting to find out what happens to these children as time goes on.